“Friends of the Poor”
Philoptochos is the primary philanthropy group of our parish. Historically a women’s group, it is also open to our men, and raises money and provides hands-on services for local and national charitable work.
Our Mission Statement is, “To aid the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts;
- To promote the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources;
- To preserve and perpetuate Orthodox Christian concepts and the Orthodox Christian Family, and through them, to promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions, in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worship, usages and customs;
- To promote participation in the activities of the Greek Orthodox community, with the cooperation of the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
Saints Constantine and Helen Philoptochos Society performs its charitable work with discretion, courtesy and kindness. A few examples of our many projects include:
- Fairfax Elementary School – partnered with Fairfax to provide students with school supplies, summer reading books, camp scholarships and holiday meals,
- Zelma George Women’s Shelter – holiday parties with gifts for mothers and children at Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day
- St. Herman’s House of Hospitality – provide meals and clothing
- Mission Projects – sponsored multiple mission trips to help with building projects in New Orleans, Canada, Athens, Ohio and recently to the Entrance to the Theotokos Skete, Hayesville, Ohio to build a chapel for the monastery
- Provide assistance for mercy meals
- Visit our shut-ins on a regular basis to prove them with fellowship and treats
- Support International Orthodox Christian Charities, Kivotos Orphanage in Athens, Zoe for Life, Orthodox Christian Fellowship and many more organizations and individuals
To become a member or renew your old membership, click here.
For More Information
Contact Dena Magoulias through our Church office.